Tab Name Localization on DDRMenu not working but Title Localization is??

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM
OK, I'm just posting this here, to save anyone the hours of work I did, just in order to find the obvious, but rather well hidden reason.

So if you have this issue, just read this, it might help.

I had an issue where everything on Apollo Localization seemed to be working, but the actual Tab Names where not being translated, the page title and meta data was working without any problems.

After setting up a test system and debuging the Apollo code, I found the localization call for page name was not being called.....so after debuging the DDRMenu code I discovered that it was not finding the Apollo Api.

The reason was, in an older portal on the same DNN installation I was using DSLocalizator and DDRMenu was picking this up as the prefered localization method...hence Apollo Page Name localization was not working.

So the rather obvious golden rule when using this and any localization method in DNN is :

DO NOT USE MORE THAN 1 TYPE OF 3RD PARTY LOCALIZATION IN A DNN INSTALLATION.

You might find it'll work, but you could have issues you never see.

If your reading this I hope this has saved you time!

Dave.
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:03 PM
Well, Dave, I have the same issue, but I do not have another type of localization on this site and just one portal. My situation:
  • all looks localized, including url, breadcrumbs and page titles.
  • just the page name is always in English.
  • running PL 6.1 on dnn 7.3.4, no native localization, of course.
  • using the old CssMenuSkinObject.V2 the page names ARE localized.
  • instead, with gomenu, brought by the new skin, page names are NOT localized.
Btw, DDRMenu, used as a side menu, works fine, page names are localised.

I have to use the new skin, though. Do I have a workaround? Replacing gomenu with DDRMenu? How much work is that?

Franco