Is this project active, or dead?

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM

We've eventually moved to a completly mutlple language module base and so I've made the jump away from DSLocalizator (and the horrid hack of the default.aspx) and therefore required a solution to simply change the page localization, without using the DNN overkill localization.  I've uploaded a patch that will work on DNN6.1.5 and above. (not sure on DNN7)

I was just wondering if this project is still active or dead in the water?

I can understand that Erik now works for DNN and it seems counterproductive to continue this project, but the fact remains that the DNN localization is overkill and I don;t want to use it.  I would like to see a 2 level system in DNN, one where only multiple langauge enabled modules can be used and then the full localization that they currently have.  hence I think the functionality of this module should be level 1 of localization in DNN :-)

Is anyone still answering these posts???

Regards,

Dave

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

it is somewhat dormant untill someone steps up and wants to maintain this for me. I will remain project coordinator, but if someone wants to co-coordinate it with me, that is fine.. (i've got a few other ML modules as well that need to be taken care of).

It is not so much a counter productivity problem, as it is a lack of time problem....

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I think it would be a real pity and loss for DNN if we lose this module which is so useful and efficient. With a couple of fixes and upgrades we would be compatible with dnn6/7.

Franco

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Hi,

@Erik, I more than understand the time problem. :-)

I do intend to keep a working version of this project for our own use, and I would be willing to share any updates I make with the project.  But as you say, time problems will stop me making anything but essential updates.  I've already created an install package that works on DNN6 and posted it as a patch, but I've only tested against our own Dev environment.....testing being a BIG time issue.

I'm certainly willing to step up and help...I'm just unsure how much time I have, especially looking at the nice set of high level SQL your running with this project.  I think my help could only be the fire fighting type.

Like I mentioned before, is there any possiblity that this project could become part of the core, to allow a 2 tier localization system in the DNN core?...maybe you could use your influance with DNN corps to push that. :-)

@Franco,  Have a look at the patch list, you'll see my post which includes an install package which should install onto at least DNN6.1.5 and DNN6.2.

Regards,

Dave

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Hi Dave,

can you give me a step-by-step procedure on how to install the patch? I suppose we install 5.0.3 first and then we override the dll files, but what about the sql and the vb ones? Where do they go?

Franco

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Hi Franco,

There is an install package included in my post. you shoudl be able to install that like a normal DNN module.

However, I've done a little testing and there is an issue if you turn make the system lanaguges en-US and then turn it off for the portal, for some reason it then doesn't seem to create any records for en-GB???...not sure why and I haven;t had time to look at it....so for the time being I've had to revert back to the DSLocalizator hack.

Dave.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Ah, you are right, I was looking at the older post, sorry, because the first one mentions dnn 6.2 and I am on 6.1.5.

However, the issue you found is a show stopper for me, my site has to be DE + FR. I will use a dnn5 instance then until this is sorted.

Franco.

Developer
Nov 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Hi Dave,

I have posted a DNN6 compatible version on codeplex with your correction included.

I have also try to look at the problem you mention with en-GB. But, i cant simulate your problem.

Maybe you dont have apply the second sql present in my patch (it was not present in your patch) ???

Sacha

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM

OK, Thx Sacha,  I'll download the patches and give it another try.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Hi Sacha,

Thanks for the new install, only just found the time to look at it again.  Everything seems to be working great!  Thankyou for your effort on keeping this project alive.

I'm going to be doing some testing against NB_Store and some other projects, if anythings popsup I'll try and get a patch done and uploaded.

Regards,

Dave.